Friday, January 3, 2014

Klimt's Muse

"Danae"
by Gustav Klimt

On my morning and evening commute these past few months I have been reading the biographies of various artists. Artists that I am interested in. Gustav Klimt (1862-1918) Austrian Painter, was a fascinating artist. His work went from a stark academic style to his "Gold Period", however, and finally to his lyrical expressionistic and decorative style later in his life. however, as a constant throughout his career, that constant was his obsession with the female form.

Having this same obsession since I can remember, I feel a kinship with Klimt. The female form as a means of expression is not anything original throughout art history, but it is personal for every artist. As it was personal for Gustav Klimt, it is for me. What is it about women that a painter can donate their career to the pursuit of her beauty, mystery, and expression?

When I was a child I drew childish things, such as, battleships and dinosaurs but as I grew older, I have mainly painted women. Artists that I have admired throughout history such as Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and Edward Burne-Jones have had similar subject matter. Some say that poetry and painting are "sister arts". A good argument is that women are the embodiment of the poetic, thus bridging the two sister arts into one expression.

A sunset, a stunning landscape or male figure are all beautiful subjects and worthy of art and the attention of the artist; However there is something a little more electric, for me, about the artists who were dedicated to the expression of woman; woman as muse, woman as subject and woman as poetry.

God Bless,
Tim

3 comments:

  1. Well said, I am glad to know that there are still those to continue the beautiful work of the elusive female muse. It will brighten the world for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Will You Join Me and become a Visionary?

What Is Your Vision? Will You Join Me and Become a Visionary? "Ruth" Pastel on Wood 24x20" I know that in your...