Thursday, January 22, 2015

Can one be a serious artist and have a regular full time job?

There have been several people whom had made a statement to me that an artist is not as serious or genuine as one that does not also have a full-time job to make ends meet.  When I first heard this I did take it personal. I was a little annoyed and since then however I have been thinking about this.

The first thing I want to do is break this down. To use logic, that means that all "real" artists do not have any other job except their "art".  Let us look into the "real" artist argument.

The definition of "artist" in Webster's Dictionary states;  :

; a person who creates art : a person who is skilled at drawing, painting, etc.
: a skilled performer
: a person who is very good at something


Hmmm! I do not see anything in the definition that states not having a full-time job other than art. I am confused. Let's dig a little deeper. With the definition in place, here is the definition of art:

1:  skill acquired by experience, study, or observation <theart of making friends>
2
a :  a branch of learning: (1) :  one of the humanities
3
:  an occupation requiring knowledge or skill <the art of organ building>
4
a :  the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects; also :  works so produced
5
a archaic :  a skillful plan
b :  the quality or state of being artful

Ok, once again, I am unable to find the phrase, not having a full-time job. So, it does look like that statement falls apart. oh well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will You Join Me and become a Visionary?

What Is Your Vision? Will You Join Me and Become a Visionary? "Ruth" Pastel on Wood 24x20" I know that in your...